By Christian DiMartino
2015 has been a slow year for movies so far. My two favorite movies of the year so far are The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, It Follows, and Cinderella, so what does that tell you? (I did actually love those by the way). However, with that said, I have good news: the summer movie season is about to begin, and things are going to get better (well, for me at least, because I actually care). Here are the five movies I am looking forward to this summer.
- Aloha (PG-13, May 29): How can I pass on this one? Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Alec Baldwin, John Krasinski, Danny McBride, all in a movie directed by the great Cameron Crowe (Almost Famous, Jerry Maguire)? It sounds like cinematic heaven. With that said, not everything Crowe makes is great (cough cough Elizabethtown). Oh well. I think this could be his return to greatness.
- Irrational Man (Not Yet Rated, July 24): Last year when I made this list, I put Woody Allen’s Magic in the Moonlight at the top of my list, because his previous movie, Blue Jasmine, was a knockout. I liked Magic in the Moonlight, but it was a letdown, so that is why I am placing his next film Irrational Man in the number four slot. However, I do have a decent amount of faith in this one. It is supposed to be a dramatic effort, and Allen’s dramatic work is dynamite. Not only that, it has two of my favorite actors, Joaquin Phoenix and Emma Stone, as the leads. So, fingers crossed that this will be Allen’s next great film.
- Mission: Impossible- Rogue Nation (Not Yet Rated, July 31): After the fourth installment, Mission: Impossible- Ghost Protocol, breathed new life into the franchise, I have hope that Mission: Impossible- Rogue Nation will keep up the good work. Tom Cruise, judging from his last film, the excellent Edge of Tomorrow, still has it. The trailer, which doesn’t show much, looks marvelous. And lastly, Cruise dangles from the wing of a plane… without stuntmen. How can I pass that up? I cannot. Duh.
- The Avengers: Age of Ultron (PG-13, May 1): I am not one of those people that was gaga about the first Avengers movie (I prefer The Dark Knight trilogy by a mile), but I will not lie: The Avengers: Age of Ultron looks awesome. Seriously, it does. It looks like a darker movie, and I like my comic book movies dark. Not only that, it looks like there is more story, considering the previous movie did not have one. So, in short, I cannot wait for the Avengers to assemble again.
- Jurassic World (Not Yet Rated, June 12): Jurassic World has been in the making for almost a decade, and honestly, the trailer looks spectacular. It looks just how I dreamed it would, but in this dream, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neill, and Laura Dern are there. I would do a cartwheel if they all made cameos. Either way, nothing is keeping me from seeing Jurassic World on its opening day.
Well, there you have it. There are others I am looking forward to, such as Fantastic Four, Tomorrowland, and Poltergeist, to name a few. I also hope that Terminator: Genisys is not total garbage (but it probably will be). This could either be a great summer for movies, or a bad one. We shall see.