By Christian DiMartino
I have been an avid scary movie viewer since I was about six. Though the genre is rarely successful these days, mainly because there is a lot of garbage out there, back in the day the genre used to be more effective. There were characters that you would not want to run into in a dark alley. There were characters that could actually be feared. Here are some of the freakiest horror movie characters.
5. Damien (The Omen): Damien does not exactly look harmful, but he might be the most evil. In The Omen, Damien is five years old, but there is so much evil and madness surrounding him. Why? Well, he is the son of the devil. Need I say more?
4. Freddy Krueger (A Nightmare on Elm Street): The sequels kind of turned Freddy Krueger into a joke, but I look at him like this: He is severely burned and wears gloves with razors on them. The man might crack a lot of jokes, but if he were real, it would be truly terrifying.
3. Ghostface (Scream): The Scream series is not exactly scary. Rather, it would be a scary situation to be in. A masked man (or woman, you never know) chasing people with a knife. Call me a chicken, but if I saw him (or her) in my house, I would be running for the hills.
2. Michael Myers (Halloween): Michael Myers, in a way, is similar to Ghostface. He wears a mask and chases people with a knife. But his case is a little different: he does not speak. Why? Who knows? He can only speak in grunts, and he just lurks around neighborhoods. Plus, this guy just will not die. In the first movie alone he gets shot like five times and falls out a window… and lives. He lives for about five more movies. In one of them he even gets decapitated, but he then comes back in the next movie. It is completely ridiculous, but in the real world, he would be a force to be reckoned with.
1. Dr. Hannibal Lecter (The Silence of the Lambs): Dr. Lecter is probably the creepiest of them all, mainly because he is kind of a wild card. One minute you could be having a nice conversation with him, and the next minute he could be munching on your face. Anthony Hopkins played Lecter, and even though he is technically only in the movie for roughly 15 minutes, his performance was so effective that even when I see him in another role, I am always a little afraid. He earned that Oscar.
So, these are my picks for the creepiest horror movie characters. Personally, The Silence of the Lambs is not even a horror movie, but the character is so creepy it just could not be ignored. There has not been many creepier characters, and there might never be. Well, there are clowns, but that is another story entirely.