By Christian DiMartino
On May 11, the best moments of every students’ high school career will occur. A night many students wait long and ardently for, the mother of all parties: Prom. Do not let the top choice put a damper on the evening.
5. Footloose: Can prom scenes get any more memorable? The film takes place in a town where dancing and rock music are banned. Once the students flee outside the city limits, Ren (Kevin Bacon), the protagonist, bursts into the prom and shouts “Let’s dance!” So they dance, for what feels like a very long time, to Kenny Loggin’s “Footloose.” The movie is not that great, but like prom, the scene cannot be forgotten.
4. Pretty in Pink: The climax of Pretty in Pink takes place at the prom. Andie (Molly Ringwald), a not very wealthy girl, makes her own clothes and goes with her best friend Duckie (Jon Cryer). There, her wealthy boyfriend Blane (Andrew McCarthy), who recently broke up with her because of peer pressure, realizes that he loves her and decides that he does not care what others think. I am sure the rest is self-explanatory. It is a happy ending, and sometimes that is all people need to have a good night.
3. Grease: The first two movies mentioned were 80’s proms. This one is a 50’s prom, and is a little different. Danny (John Travolta) and Sandy (Olivia Newton John) go to prom in the middle of the movie, and it is so happenin’. There is a lot of dancing. A lot. This is when the “hand-jive” shows up. It is a blast, just the way prom should be.
2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High: Back to the 80’s proms. The prom scene is upbeat and once again is the climax of the film, but there is something a little different this time. Class clown Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn) has been torturing his teachers all year. But on prom night, one of his teachers, Mr. Hand, decides to visit his home and gives him a history lesson, to punish him for wasting so much of his time in the year. But in the end, Jeff makes it to prom. It is a clever idea and the result is hilarious.
1. Carrie: Prom is supposed to be a night to be remembered forever, right? Well, there should be no problem remembering the prom in Carrie. This is easily the most memorable, but yet the most demented. Do not let this prom put a damper on your prom events. The chances of a girl with telekinetic powers murdering almost everyone at the prom are slim to none. But it is still a party to never forget.
For the record, I highly recommend pulling no prom pranks, as previously discussed, the results have the potential to be disastrous.